Monday, December 20, 2010

the cat can't crap so pat his head in passing please!


Already I know that I'll remember this as being a time of closeness. How is that for being in more than one place at once? I will remember now. Oswald and I share many parts of this experience: we are both caught between a rock and a more placid place. We are both fond of fish...

We are both occasionally constipated.

Lynda took Oswald to the vet on Saturday. He had not crapped for a couple of days, and for a daily dumper a day without a dump is disturbing. The vet gave Lynda some fish-flavoured laxative lube in a tube. He asked Lynda if she would mind terribly sharing the stuff with Oswald.

Otherwise he continues apace. Yesterday he and I had a contest to see who could move the least. It was a tie until about four in the afternoon. I lay on my bed reading. He lay on his bed. Not reading. Just lay there thinking things over I guess. Maybe doing a year end review. With his eyes closed.

Then (at 4PM) he got up, arched his back, and leaped from his bed to mine. He ambled across and made himself comfortable, and I stroked his fish-shiny coat for an hour. It was the best hour of my day. The best hour of my week. This is the way animals operate and it's why we love them and are attached to them. Oswald did not come close because he had anything for me. He came close because he needed something from me. And in needing something from me he gave me a great gift indeed.
________________________________________________

So these moments are precious. These days become weeks become months, I hope. We'll see. It was not always this way for Oswald and I. I was the guy who would pat his head in passing. How you doin'? Once in a while I would get down on the floor and pretend to give him an electro-shock treatment. That was fun. I wish someone would get down on the floor and give me an electro-shock treatment. That would be fun.

Just now Oswald has come to take his place on a favourite chair. It's time for him to get on with his hard day of doing as-close-to-nothing-as possible. He is good at it...


1 comment:

  1. You do this stuff fantastically and touch so many points. Yes, you can be in two places at the same time (and this as they now define space and time).

    ReplyDelete